Thursday, December 5, 2013

PHOTO ART FRIDAY IS O P E N

THE BARN IS O P E N

 Joining today with PHOTO ART FRIDAY for our monthly "get together' Our challenge for today was to do a piece of art demonstrating the concept of OPEN. I am sorry to say that I did not have any real artistic ideas about this, so will share a couple of photos that I took while I was in Illinois over the thanksgiving holiday. We had the opportunity to visit a really antique barn called Walnut Grove  which is just outside of KNOXVILLE Illinois. This barn is HUGE, and was built by hand in 1863. Made from rock from a local quarry and hand hewn logs.  Every year, the barn hosts a large Christmas craft festival with  people selling their crafts from both illinois and Iowa.I had the chance to go to this a long time ago, and have been waiting eagerly for months to go again this year, as I knew we would be in Illinois for the holiday . Arrived as soon as it opened on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and was excited to see Father Christmas, at the door, and a sign saying THE BARN IS OPEN. Had a great time shopping and looking at all of the great ideas that people had.  You can see below one of the shoppers had on a fur coat, and I can tell you that you really needed it at this  barn.  NO CENTRAL HEAT OR AIR HERE.... and it was just plain cold.  The first purchase that I made was a hand made hat to keep my ears warm. This barn is a 3 story barn, and I can just imagine all of the early mornings at dawn up milking the cows by candle light.

I USED BONNIES NEW TEXTURE "DEAR ONE" AS AN OVERLAY FOR THIS BARN SHOT. I LIKED IT AS IT REPRESENTS TO ME ALL OF THE HISTORY THAT I FEEL WHEN I ENTERED THIS 150 YEAR OLD BARN, AND I TRULY TRIED TO OPEN MY HEART TO THIS HISTORY WHEN I VISITED THIS GREAT PLACE. THEY ALSO HAD LOVELY CLYDESDALE HORSES OUTSIDE TO TAKE ANYONE WHO WANTED FOR A HAY RIDE AROUND THE BIG PRAIRIE FARM. SO WONDERFUL HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THIS BARN AND REMEMBER THE YEARS THAT IT HAS BEEN HERE ON THE PRAIRIE, STANDING STRONG, AND HELPING TO KEEP THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE FARMED THIS  AND THEIR ANIMALS SAFE , WELL FED, AND WARM.

Pixel Dust Photo Art

15 comments:

  1. oh, i'd love to go in that barn - not to shop, just to look around. looks in beautiful condition. and i like father christmas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this new texture works very well with the barn! Seems to be well worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one incredible barn, and I'm with you on the history of it...to stand where others stood in history is intriguing to me. I think that texture works really well, almost like beams of light coming from the barn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great barns ~ and must have been a fun adventure ~ Lovely photography ~ thanks, carol, xxx
    Happy Weekend and thanks for your comments ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old barns- they have put this one to good use, but also have preserved a piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artistic, of course it is artistic ... you captured the barn and history and the joyous holiday feelings in just a few shots (cute pictue of your grandson:) The barn door is open and has been for many years ,,, let the history and creativity flow. Great post Jeanne. I can always count on you to perk up my day ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing barn!! I would've loved to have visited this show...I'm so glad you captured some moments to share. Can you imagine the stories that barn could tell? So much history...thanks for sharing, Jeanne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you say - old barns store a harvest of memories. Love how you married your photo with the texture. Love, too, that beautiful 'open' smile on your gorgeous grandson.

    You have really created an up-lifting blog here Jeanne. It's wonderful that people like you who have so much to share have this blogging vehicle as a means to do so. My warmest wishes for you and yours during this holiday season. (Stay warm!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful barn, Jeanne! And so BIG! A great annual event too...or is it OPEN all year round? Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This barn is open year around for various events! There are many weddings here, and also several seasonal events. During the winter, there are sleigh rides , and the Thanksgiving craft fair only lasts over the holiday weekend. Seems as if it stays busy though, and I am sure that it takes alot of money and effort to keep a building like this "going" and looking nice.

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful large barn. What a great site for a Christmas crafts fair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful place, and such a wonderful adaptation of the last shot! I'm getting all Christmassy now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've presented a BEautimous adventure for those of us who are NOT quite in the midst of the wonders of Christmastime... I really love this barn and the story of it. I can imagine the cold, too. many MANY years of wild winters in my Life. I love especially the fairs and festivals I used to attend. may go to one here next weekend. you've certainly inspired me and thank you so much for the Christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun place, and a perfect Santa! I love your processed barn shot - gorgeous use of texture.

    ReplyDelete