Thursday, December 5, 2013

ADVENTURE AT BISHOP HILL

Wanted to share with you a wonderful little town that I visited while I was in illinois. This little town is BISHOP HILL, and was established in 1846 as a Swedish Colony out on the illinois Prairie. The current population of this little town is only 128 people per the last census, but you would never suspect that from the amazing amount of activities that go on in this place. The weekend that I went, over Thanksgiving, they were celebrating the JULMARKNAD, which is the Swedish Christmas preparation time, and the village was filled with all sorts of wonderful handmade gifts, wonderful baking smells at the town bakery, and christmas decorations.  We had a great lunch at the wonderful little bakery in town, where every thing is made from scratch and is yummy, and all the people working there are dressed in period clothes ( 1800s). They have amazing breads, muffins, sandwiches, and homemade soups which are delicious. After a great lunch, off we went for a little shopping and fun exploring. If you are ever in southern illinois, be sure to stop in to this little unique prairie town which is definitely ONE OF A KIND!
DECORATION ON THE FIREPLACE IN THE BAKERY

SOME OF THE MANY HANDMADE ARTICLES AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE BAKERY

A GREAT STAR HANDMADE FROM BARNBOARD

GETTING READY TO DO A LITTLE SERIOUS SHOPPING IN SWEET ANNIES SHOP.  . FILLED WITH PRIMITIVES AND HANDMADE ARTICLES, ALL SO CUTE

LOOKING UP THE STREET IN FRONT OF SWEET ANNIES



WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS!


COLORFUL WINDOW IN FRONT OF THE TOWN MUSEUM. ONE OF THE MANY ORIGINAL 1846 BUILDINGS OF THIS TOWN


11 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos! I love Bishop Hill, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that STAR!!!!! WANT that star!!! :)

    and baked goods would be a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed your rustic wares too Jeanne, and the Sweet Annies look a wonderful shop to visit. Nice shot of you too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That nice shot of "me" is my daughter! My lovely, sweet daughter !

      Delete
  4. What a charming place to go. I would want to buy everything in that shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those last two shots are my favs, I see them on cards. You sure have been to some fun places lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like stepping back in time. What a delightful place to pend some time and how wonderful that residents of Bishop Hill are able to embrace their heritage and make a living from doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh- shop envy..I love primitives! Nothing like that around here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Special places like this are such a treasure! Beautiful primitives there. I enjoyed your lovely photos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne, I am so excited and glad you blogged about Bishop Hill. I'm very, very familiar with this place, as I grew up about 20 miles away in Geneseo, and visited Bishop Hill often. I love that place, and in fact was just describing it to Dennis recently. Now I can show him your photos. Thanks so much for writing about this very charming place and sharing your photos. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun place! Looks like lots of neat decor and gift ideas. Thanks for sharing, Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete